Friday, October 14, 2011

The baby chicks have arrived!

So we're all moved in, and the painting is done, and we're taking stuff out of boxes and... OMG BABY CHICKS!!

So yeah, just this morning my shipment of 25 assorted heavy layers arrived from McMurray Hatchery. I can't even express how happy I am to have chickens again, as it's been probably five years now.

The first thing I did (after taking the picture above) was to put them in a big plastic tub with a heat lamp, water and a tiny bit of crumbles. I don't want to put too much food in right now (hint: they poop everywhere, including the food dish), but you can bet I'll be monitoring these little guys n' gals closely anyway, refilling food when needed.

When the package arrived, I found one dead chick, but that's to be expected. McMurray sends 26-27 when you order 25, because they anticipate small problems when shipping a group of 1-day-old live animals. One more chick is on the verge of dying, it seems, but I'm nursing it by helping it find the food and water. In my experiences, it probably won't make it, but I have to try, right?

I've already identified the loud one, the greedy one, and the one who will probably escape the tub first.

So now I leave you with more pictures of the chicks, and a short video of them chirping away.

No comments:

Post a Comment